Welcome to the Borough of Moscow
Moscow Borough, 123 VanBrunt Street, Moscow, PA 18444
For additional events check out the Event Calendar under the Community Tab above.
Back by Popular Demand! The Suspensions are an all male A cappella group from West Chester University.
They are a group of friends who enjoy singing and making music together. This is their second time performing in Northeast PA. Their performance last year was to an appreciative standing room only crowd!
Monday March 9th at 6:00pm
North Pocono Public Library. 1315 Church St Moscow, PA 18444
Admission is Free. Donations will be accepted to help the students defray their travel costs!
Clean and Green (Spring Clean-up)
June 1st - 3rd, 2015 See April Newsletter for more details.
The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce and MetroAction announced the winners of the 2014 SAGE Awards, (Scranton Awards for Growth and Excellence) at the Chamber Gala. These awards honor outstanding local businesses for their talent, creativity, and innovation.
Moscow Borough: National Night Out
Congratulations to Moscow!
Regardless of whether you are a permanent resident of Moscow, or are simply visiting, we hope you will take the time to appreciate the Borough and the people in it and by all means, feel free to contact the Borough office or stop by if you have any questions.
Mayor and Council - Borough of Moscow
History Of Moscow
Moscow Borough was established in 1908 by citizens interested in creating improved services to their thriving community. W. B. Miller became the town's first Burgess.
The area we call Moscow was given that name at some point in the 1850s. Exactly how the name came to the area is not clear. Originally called Drinkers Beech and named for Henry Drinker, a Quaker from Philadelphia, who gained possession of nearly three square miles of land and began harvesting the local beech trees. A roadway carved through the wilderness cut through what we know today as Main Street or Route 435 was named Drinker Turnpike.
Some people believe that the Reverend Peter Rupert, a Lutheran minister, renamed the area after his former home in Moscow, Russia. There is no firm evidence that he, nor settlers from Russia, named the area. The Reverend Rupert did build a log cabin tavern to service stage coach travelers making the arduous journey between Philadelphia and the interior of New York State.
It is possible that the area could have easily been renamed Moscow at the whim of the first postmaster Leander Griffen who opened the settlement's first general store in 1854.
The construction of a rail line from Scranton to the transportation hub of Hoboken, New Jersey increased the importance of the area not only for commerce but also as a destination for vacationers, who used the rail lines to visit the numerous local hotels built in this beautiful country setting. By the early 1900's there was even a daily commuter train called "the accommodation train" bringing workers from Moscow to Scranton. Today, the Victorian-era Moscow railroad station is a reminder of the profound influence rail transportation has had on this area.
This area continues to grow in a family-friendly environment, with its shops, restaurants, recreation and, of course, the train station and Steamtown excursions.